Top five sounds of all time, as they occur to me right now, an insomniac wide awake at 5 am…
5. The sound the summer wind made in the leaves of that stand of birch trees, near where we made camp high up in Jasper National Park in the Canadian Rockies when I was a senior in college,
4. The noisy business of the ocean against the shore, just prior to a gale,
3. The involuntary mmmmms and oooohs made by friends enjoying a meal you cooked for them,
2. The purring of a cat in the crook of your arm, so loud it wakes you up,
1. The combination of hard rain on the roof and the soft snoring of your love, who has his arm draped over your waist.
…just for the record.